My Poem - Water Baby

I am delighted to announce that my 'Commended' poem Water Baby was recently published in The Mother's Milk Books Writing Prize Anthology 2015. I'd like to thank judge Sarah James & editor Teika Bellamy for making it happen.


Water Baby

I saw you first
on the scan
baby swimmer,
echolocation,
two heartbeats,
yours fast then mine.

Mine skipped a beat
at the quickening of you,
when you flipped within me,
whilst singing the songs
of the deep.

You came eagerly
running the bow wave.
I helped bring you
to the surface,
glistening, warm blooded,
at last, your skin
against mine.

I watched you
take your first breath
a gasp, no two,
yours and mine,
brought you to my breast,
love at first sight.

Today we run
into the sea together,
dive in and surface laughing.
You, now fully grown,
our two heartbeats,
in time.


                       (C) Karen Harvey


https://www.mothersmilkbooks.com/index.php/shop/product/217-the-mother-s-milk-books-writing-prize-anthology-2015-love

Comments

  1. A lovely poem, Karen.It brings back memories and feelings that only a mother can know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem, Karen. A deserving one for the award. Congratulation.

    braiding hair
    with different designs
    mother holds
    her tightly closing the eyes
    and feels beats in rhythm with her

    (Excerpt from my upcoming collection, "I am Woman")

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World Poetry Day 2017 and 2 of my poems published